A long day at the clinic
Mina Brigitta's lumbar puncture was scheduled for 12 pm, but due to a delay in the OR didn't happen until almost 3:00. She was tired and hadn't had anything to eat or drink all day, so she was cranky with a capital C. We also had an appointment with Dr. Loh, which went just fine. Blood counts continue to improve, but slowly. Dr. Loh gave us a prescription for a light regimen of maintenance chemo. This will just make sure she stays where she's at for the next few weeks until we can get the BMT process started.
Dr. Cowan of the UCSF BMT team wanted to bring us in next Monday, but there's no way we'll be ready by then. Mina Brigitta will need a whole battery of tests: hearing test, pulmonary (lung) function test, brain MRI, chest CT scan, complete dental workup, kidney test, and I'm sure some others I'm forgetting. This is all to establish a baseline so they can measure how match damage they've done to her when this is all over. The unfortunate thing is that many of these tests require her to be sedated, which means she can't eat or drink that day until after the test. The maintenance chemo will buy us some time to get all this done and allow Mina Brigitta to regain some strength, not to mention allow Keri and me to make sure we're making the right decisions for her.
Keri and Isaac flew up to Seattle tonight, so it's just me and Mina B in the house. They arrive back late tomorrow night.
Dr. Cowan of the UCSF BMT team wanted to bring us in next Monday, but there's no way we'll be ready by then. Mina Brigitta will need a whole battery of tests: hearing test, pulmonary (lung) function test, brain MRI, chest CT scan, complete dental workup, kidney test, and I'm sure some others I'm forgetting. This is all to establish a baseline so they can measure how match damage they've done to her when this is all over. The unfortunate thing is that many of these tests require her to be sedated, which means she can't eat or drink that day until after the test. The maintenance chemo will buy us some time to get all this done and allow Mina Brigitta to regain some strength, not to mention allow Keri and me to make sure we're making the right decisions for her.
Keri and Isaac flew up to Seattle tonight, so it's just me and Mina B in the house. They arrive back late tomorrow night.

5 Comments:
At 9:37 AM PST,
Anonymous said…
Hello Arne and Kerry,
Meg Frost here, friend of Melissa Miller Stengle. I wanted to write and express my best wishes to you and Mina Brigitta for a swift recovery. I met you at Melissa's wedding and have had dinner a few times with you, Kerry, and enjoyed Melissa's Bliss shower too.
It's a small world, and my friend Sam Rosen happens to be the one bicycling in honor of Mina for Team in Training! His wife Galit is one of the doctor's, I believe.
Sam is a solid guy, and he will do Mina Brigitta proud. Keep up the great work, and all the best to you,
Meg
At 9:37 AM PST,
Anonymous said…
Hello Arne and Kerry,
Meg Frost here, friend of Melissa Miller Stengle. I wanted to write and express my best wishes to you and Mina Brigitta for a swift recovery. I met you at Melissa's wedding and have had dinner a few times with you, Kerry, and enjoyed Melissa's Bliss shower too.
It's a small world, and my friend Sam Rosen happens to be the one bicycling in honor of Mina for Team in Training! His wife Galit is one of the doctor's, I believe.
Sam is a solid guy, and he will do Mina Brigitta proud. Keep up the great work, and all the best to you,
Meg
At 9:37 AM PST,
Rusty Bumpersticker said…
Hello Arne and Kerry,
Meg Frost here, friend of Melissa Miller Stengle. I wanted to write and express my best wishes to you and Mina Brigitta for a swift recovery. I met you at Melissa's wedding and have had dinner a few times with you, Kerry, and enjoyed Melissa's Bliss shower too.
It's a small world, and my friend Sam Rosen happens to be the one bicycling in honor of Mina for Team in Training! His wife Galit is one of the doctor's, I believe.
Sam is a solid guy, and he will do Mina Brigitta proud. Keep up the great work, and all the best to you,
Meg
At 6:36 PM PST,
Anonymous said…
Arne & Kerry,
I wanted to let you know I was including Mina Brigitta on my web site for Team in training. I am running the St Louis Half Marathon with TNT and have two local honored teammates as well as a friend of my mom's from school. I would be honored to run for Mina as well...also Christy is running with me and will be running in her honor as well.
Please let us know if we can do anything from the Mid-west.
Nothing but good thoughts for all of you.
Brian & Christy Conrad
www.active.com/donate/tntgmo/tntgmoBConrad
At 6:42 PM PST,
Anonymous said…
Hi everyone I am glad that brigitta is doing ok. It's great that she is playing and feeling a littil bit better. I have all of my friends praying for a speedy and healthy recovery. Love you guys soo much and can't wait to hear more news. E-mail me if you want at tmac8t@juno.com and keep everyone posted
Love you and god bless all,
Tessie
Post a Comment
<< Home