Mina Brigitta's Hospital Blog

Daily entries chronicling Mina Brigitta Mae Olson's battle with Acute Myelogenous Leukemia

Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Holding Pattern

More of the same today for Mina Brigitta -- still holding steady with the low-grade fever, still a bit puckish but doing well overall. After not really napping much for several days, she napped for 3 and a half hours today. Must have been saving it up. She's been restless at night, so that probably contributes.

Mina Brigitta has learned a new word here at the hospital. The nursing staff here makes a special diaper cream from a mixture of various over-the-counter products. They call it "butt balm". Not sure what exactly they put in it, but it really works. And it must be very soothing too; in January and February when Mina Brigitta had a horrible diaper rash from all the drugs, we would ask if she wanted the cream and she would say, very enthusiastically, "Yeah!". Many times it was the only way we could get her to hold still for the change, as uncomfortable as she must have been. Now, you guessed it, she's learned to ask for it by name: "bu-bal!"

5 Comments:

  • At 5:46 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Keri and Arne,
    Thank you for doing this Blog. It is a great way for us all to follow your family's progress and I check it regularly. I am hoping so much for all of you that things stay calm until the big event. I've been through a battle with multiple myeloma with my mother--I've spent months in hospitals and I know the anxiety that comes with even low grade fevers.
    What a beautiful and strong-looking little girl you have! As gorgeous as her name! Just from her pictures and your stories, I have great confidence that she's going to pull through this all with force.
    Could you possibly post an address where we might send Mina a book?
    Alison and Dan

     
  • At 8:08 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    All I can say is WOW-I'm so sorry for the struggle this has been for all of you, especially for your beautiful little Mina Brigitta. I haven't been keeping up on your entries but plan to check it as often as I can as you prepare for the transplant. Please know that you're in my prayers and I'm thinking of all of you. Love and hugs to all of you.

     
  • At 11:32 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hello Hello!!
    I hope that things continue to go well...I am sorry that she is puky though :( that is never any fun. I can't wait to hear "butt balm" though!! Sounds like you had a good Easter too.
    I have been up to some very fun things since I last wrote. We spent monday heading about the town, it was hot in the high 70's and went punting on the avon (rode a paddle type boat in a river) ate good food and toured the city on foot. We saw some very cool local artists work, too bad it was VERY EXPENSIVE but beautiful. Yesterday we went on a wine tasting tour and went to 4 different wineries, very fun and left us a little tipsy:) Then today we went to a wild animal adventure park...it was amazing. we were able to get within inches to feet of many animals...we hand fed giraffes (twice) and saw many linos, rhinos, cheetas, it was awsome. Tommorow we head out for our contiki tour of nz (the southern island)
    I don't think that we are going to get up to Wellington though unfortunately :(
    Well, sorry to make this so long and only about me, but I wanted to update you, cant wait to show pictures.
    Give the kids a big hug for me and make sure those nurses are taking good care of my Mina (isaac too!!)
    Talk to you soon
    Much love
    Amber

     
  • At 11:34 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh I forgot to ask about the donor...heard any more news??? I really hope that I am there for the big day, and hope that I will be working that night and can do the transplant myself...we will see what the day will be. miss you guys and hope this finds you doing well
    amber

     
  • At 7:48 AM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey mina bri I hope you are doing good lately. I heard about the donor (YEAH!) Happy Baby Brigitta love always Kennnedy Paylor (AKA) Cousin!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home