Day +59: oral cyclosporine
Dr. Horn came back on service today. She's the doctor who was attending for two weeks when Mina Brigitta was at her lowest point, and we like her very much. She has a lot of knowledge, and she doesn't hold anything back when she talks to us. But her explanations are always very clear and concise without too much medical shorthand. What we like best is how carefully she examines Mina Brigitta, and how she asks us detailed questions about what and how she's doing. Especially with young children, I think it's really important to observe them closely because they can't tell us much about how they feel. When they were talking about sending us home before, I knew that Mina Brigitta wasn't ready because she was very clingy, wasn't eating much, and generally didn't seem like herself, even though physically she looked great. She couldn't tell us, but she must have been in serious pain based on what was going on in her gut.
Now it's almost the opposite: her spirit is way ahead of her body. She really wants to eat, but struggles with the part where she has to actually put the food in her mouth and swallow it. She wants to walk around outside in the hallway, but she's so wobbly and swollen still that she doesn't get very far. But the body is healing, and it will eventually catch up. I'm more optimistic now than I've been in a long time that we might actually get to bring her home.
To that end, they switched her to oral cyclosporine today. She took her first dose at 4 PM, and has to take it every 8 hours on the dot. Cyclosporine is the hardest drug to switch over, because it tastes horrible and makes lots of kids throw up. Mina Brigitta told me on the phone today (talking on the phone is another milestone, by the way) that it was "hot", which I suppose is the best word she can come up with for "terribly bitter". She took it like a trouper, though. If all goes well, they said maybe we can start thinking about coming home next week, maybe even as soon as Monday.
Now it's almost the opposite: her spirit is way ahead of her body. She really wants to eat, but struggles with the part where she has to actually put the food in her mouth and swallow it. She wants to walk around outside in the hallway, but she's so wobbly and swollen still that she doesn't get very far. But the body is healing, and it will eventually catch up. I'm more optimistic now than I've been in a long time that we might actually get to bring her home.
To that end, they switched her to oral cyclosporine today. She took her first dose at 4 PM, and has to take it every 8 hours on the dot. Cyclosporine is the hardest drug to switch over, because it tastes horrible and makes lots of kids throw up. Mina Brigitta told me on the phone today (talking on the phone is another milestone, by the way) that it was "hot", which I suppose is the best word she can come up with for "terribly bitter". She took it like a trouper, though. If all goes well, they said maybe we can start thinking about coming home next week, maybe even as soon as Monday.

9 Comments:
At 1:34 AM PDT,
Anonymous said…
HOME NEXT WEEK!!!! MAYBE MONDAY!!! oh my goodness...talk about tears in the eyes. I can't believe how far this little one has come and battled through. She is such a little fighter and has more in her then any of us even realize. I can't wait to see you wednesday! Hope that tommorow is just as good as today!
amba
At 5:36 AM PDT,
Anonymous said…
I have tears of joy in my eyes this morning, too. The Lord is good and will continue to heal Mina Brigitta. I'm so happy, too, for momma's momma that the homecoming will be while she is there! I'll keep praying! Love, Aunt Joan
At 7:47 AM PDT,
Anonymous said…
How exciting! Here's to a good week. Cory
At 7:48 AM PDT,
Anonymous said…
How exciting! Here's to a good week. Cory
At 8:33 AM PDT,
Anonymous said…
Way to go Mina, You continue to amaze us all. The milestones are flying by at mach speed and we are so excited. Keep up the good work and we will keep up our prayers. Here's to playing all day without hot medicine and people messing with you. Lotsa Love Uncle Brent
At 9:52 AM PDT,
Anonymous said…
How wonderful that Mina may go home soon! She is such a trouper to go through so much, I'm glad her giggles are back! That is some of the best medicine. I'm thankful for the strong support group that you have helping you through this. Hugs to you all and prayers for more eating and a good transition to oral medications so home will be a reality SOON!
Blessings-
Dorothy K
At 3:09 PM PDT,
Anonymous said…
Mina: YOu go girl, your invincible spirit is amazing to us all. YOu are a beautiful survivor!!! so glad that your appetite is coming back as well as your desire to be active again. Strength will come physically, in time.. Praise God for His loving kindness and answered prayers. So many people I know ask about you on a regular basis and have you in their everyday prayers. much love and of course continued prayers for your strength and timing to go home. Tutu and Richard
At 3:39 PM PDT,
Anonymous said…
Go Brigitta! I checked the blog hoping for positive news and am overjoyed with what I've read - day by day a little stronger than the last. I'm wishing you a continued recovery, and riding with you in mind.
At 9:39 PM PDT,
Anonymous said…
Hello Mina - We've had a long day today but couldn't go to sleep without checking on our girl! What GREAT news! You are such a big girl taking that hot medicine! We love you sunshine! Praying for lots more good days!
Love Bryan Lisa Bailey Jack
Post a Comment
<< Home